Monday, November 06, 2006

when I wear it she crosses my mind

In looking back, I see that I have mentioned my Afghan hat project, but not explained it. So:
a few months ago (May? April?) I decided that I wanted to take up crocheting again. I knew that I'd end up making things that I couldn't use, so had to figure out what I could make that someone else could use. After trial and error, I figured out how to crochet hats. Beanies. Skull caps. Whatever one wants to call them.

So, I started crocheting every night and was soon able to make at least one hat per evening, while watching an hour-long TV show. I had been checking out the anysoldier.com website and found a sailor stationed in Afghanistan who wanted caps for Afghani children, so I've been sending them to him. Lost count, but I've made and sent over 100, for sure.

Crocheting has been therapeutic: keeps hands busy so I can't nibble while watching TV; provides stimulation via colors, textures, motion; soothes and relaxes; provides a useful item for someone.

Some of my online pals asked for hats for themselves so I made and sent them some. Then there were suggestions that I make and send hats to people I admire. Hence the previous reference to alpaca yarn for a hat for Josh Ritter. I mailed the hat to him, hmmm, in late-ish October. Saturday, I received a thank-you note in the mail. Rarely do we see hand-addressed envelopes in the mailbox, since it's usually full of bills and junk mail, so I noticed immediately that there was a personal letter for me. When I saw the return address, I was shocked. "JR" at a post office box in Idaho. Inside was a lovely card with a quote from William Morris on the front: "Believe me, if we want art to begin at home, as it must, we must clear our houses of troublesome superfluities that are forever in our way, conventional comforts that are no real comforts, and do but make work for servants and doctors. If you want a golden rule that will fit everybody, this is it: HAVE NOTHING IN YOUR HOUSES THAT YOU DO NOT KNOW TO BE USEFUL, OR BELIEVE TO BE BEAUTIFUL."

The gracious note read, in part "Thank you so much for the beautiful letter and the (very) beautiful hat. It's gorgeous, and that's a word I rarely use. I'm profoundly proud and happy that my music has found you." Finally, "Until I see you again, I hope music keeps you as warm as your hat is keeping me!" A charming and kind note from someone whose mother has taught him well.

5 comments:

Lydia said...

A great project that you're involved in. I certainly love my hat, and it's good to know you've so enjoyed making them all.

Still haven't gotten round to listening to songs on Josh Ritter's site, but I'm definitely impressed by the non-musical side of him. Lovely of him to send you a personal thank you note.

Anonymous said...

ok, this is even more sweet and thoughtful than i had expected, and, as you well know, my level of expectation with the mr and mrs ritter's young fella is already quite extraordinarily high. profound gratitude to him for digging out that william morris quote, it provided me with aestethic sustenance through most of my undergrad years. *wistful sigh* this actually left me speechless for at least two minutes, he is beyond fucking amazing in so many more ways than his music. torn in two, me, again. on the one hand, i wish him international superstardom, but on the other hand that means he wouldn't be able to write cards like that anymore, and that would be a sad loss, and i think to him, too. ah josh... *starry eyed* sorry for the anonymous post, i'm not registered here, but i'll just cheekily assume you've guessed my identity anyway. ;-)

Unknown said...

very nice person.

Anonymous said...

Aww, that's lovely! That's so good of him to send such a sweet thank-you note.

I love my hat, too. :)

lulukubo said...

Thanks, friends. The note really gave me a warm feeling. The boy does have a way with words.

Anonymous - hah! :) I dunno, I'm not sure JR even wants superstardom. I doubt that it'll happen in the U.S. anyway.