Monday, February 26, 2007

arriba


Before I return to the Tale of Engalond, I must take a detour through Mexico, where I was this past weekend. As the school sponsor of the Interact Club, I went along with 12 of our students and members of the local Rotary Club for a service project across the border in Ciudad Acuña, Mexico. We stayed in a motel in Del Rio, on the Texas side of the river, and drove over the bridge for dinner Friday night, our work day on Saturday, and then back over for shopping and dinner Saturday night. It was a really good experience for the students, and I enjoyed myself very much. I helped with the painting of the school a bit, and took lots of photos to share with everyone. I rode down with the Rotary sponsor for our club, and enjoyed getting to know him better. Also was glad to get to know the other gentlemen of the local Rotary; all seemed to be very nice men. One guy, about my age, kept calling me "ma'am" which made me feel really old or something. Another man asked me to dance at the Friday night dinner, do I did! Explained that I haven't danced in years. It was kind of fun.

3 comments:

Lydia said...

Dang, woman, you've got all prolific! It's been great hearing about this Mexico trip as it's a place that I've not read much about and have no direct experience of. And I do admire your participation in various worthwhile activities and causes to help people.

Tina. said...

Sounds like a great trip! And the photos are fabulous.

Some of my students call me "ma'am," and it feels weird every time it happens.

lulukubo said...

Thanks, friends. :) It was a really good trip for me as well as the students.