Monday, February 19, 2007

face forward in the wind



Mmmm, hot dogs, that's where I left off. Hot dogs on buns with mustard, onions, relish, tomatos, pickle spear and picled peppers. Crispy fries. Suitably warmed, we again struck off for the Water Tower. It turns out that we were only a few blocks away by then. We took some pictures, then dashed inside the fragrant Hershey's shop. Not that Hershey is my favorite chocolate by any stretch of the imagination, but it was close, warm, and smelled soooooo nice.

The next scheme was to catch a bus back to our hotel. I am still amazed that we managed to do so. Chicago is laid out in such a simple grid and has soooo many bus lines that it's really easy to get around. This bus went up Lake Shore Drive through Lincoln Park and let us out on Diversey just to the east of our hotel. We wanted to relax and rest before the concert Sunday night, so went to the hotel. By this time my headache was throbbing and my throat was more sore than ever. I plopped down on the bed in exhaustion. Sweet B got a blanket and covered me but I just couldn't manage to feel warm. A very very long hot bath worked wonders; I emerged warm and breathing.

Back in the balmy fall when we planned this trip, I chose this hotel partly because it seemed to be within walking distance of the concert venue. And it would have been, easily, if I had not been ill and the temp had been above mid-20s. We decided to walk down Clark and find someplace for dinner, then take the bus down to Armitage and the venue. This worked out well; we hadn't gone too terribly far when we came across Oodles of Noodles, where B got a huge plate of pineapple fried rice and I had some very nice noodles. Thus fortified, we found a bus and arrived at the venue easily. We were a little later than planned but there wasn't a line for coat check so we got rid of our heavy coats right away. I made a beeline for the merch table, only to find that the tour shirts were already sold out in every size but small. Very sad, but I consoled myself with the Idaho/piano shirt instead, and a "Jiggs" hat for T., so when we go out together it'll be Me and Jiggs.

We went on into the concert hall, stopping to get a drink for B., and checked out the set-up. Right in front of the stage they had smallish tables, about 15 feet long, perpendicular to the stage. Those seats seemed pretty crowded, but we went on down and actually found two seats slightly to the right of center and only three chairs from the stage. Awesome. We got a guy across from us to take a picture of me and B together - can't wait to see it, because I suspect I looked as bad as I felt, despite being invigorated by the anticipation of my first time to see Josh headlining.

More to follow.

No comments: