Tuesday, July 17, 2007

singing cockles and mussels

Dublin. July 4-6. Left DFW July 3. Of course the flight was delayed, as were almost all flights during this period of unusual (for Texas summer) daily thunderstorms. I knew I would probably be late arriving at Gatwick, so carried on both my bags for the trip. Got to Gatwick around 11 Wednesday morning instead of 8, as planned, so dashed through immigration and over to the other terminal, searched high and low for the Ryanair desk, got checked in, hustled through security, and made it to the departure lounge with minutes to spare. After a quick stop in the ladies room, I was wandering back out to look for Lydia when she serendipitously found me. Of course, our flight to Dublin was delayed (the story of my summer travels) but we made it there around 4 p.m.

As we were riding the bus to our hotel, Lydia got the first of many text messages from friends we were meeting: "Where are you NOW?". We both cracked up. Fortunately, the bus dropped us off just across the road from the hotel, and I immediately saw WH out front waiting for us. Hugs all around. Eventually he got hold of WVO and we all walked together over to the Olympia to pick up our tickets for the 4th of July "working rehearsal" of R.E.M. Tickets in hand, we chatted to a couple of people in the queue for standing spots, then continued on to dinner.


(more later....eyes are tired)

2 comments:

Lydia said...

A pattern is beginning to emerge. You go on a trip with Becky and get sick. You go on a trip with me and get delayed. Is the thought of San Diego just a little terrifying?! Hee hee!

And you stopped just at the good part, ie dinner. Eagerly awaiting the next instalment. Ok, yeah, I was there and know what happened next, but it's still fun to read about it.

lulukubo said...

You would point that out to me, wouldn't you. Trip with Lydia + Becky = disaster waiting to happen, Fortunately for you, I've had delays or cancellations on just about every flight this year, even ones with which you were not involved.