Tuesday, July 17, 2007

shuffle off


How sad is this? I need to finish writing about the New York trip so I can move on to the Dublin and Watford trips.

Okay, so after Book Expo I met up with friends Lydia and Nicky, from England. I was the first to arrive at our hotel, which Lydia had booked, accompanied by John. As the car pulled up to the hotel, we saw a giant inflatable rat tied to a pole outside the entrance. There was a labor protest going on. I thought the protesters were very rude, and I knew Lydia had pre-paid for the room, so I went on in and checked in. The room was gorgeous! After a while, Lydia and Nicky got there and called from the lobby, wondering if we should stay there or not because of the labor situation. We decided to stay.

Anyway, enough of that! The days in NYC were great! Sights: Empire State Building, Bronx Zoo, harbor cruise in the evening, MOMA, Metropolitan Museum of Art, Guggenheim, Natural History Museum. Food: too much to name! We ate a couple of times at the restaurant where John works - complimentary mimosas on Saturday from our handsome waiter (another friend and her husband met up with us that day).



Chocolate cheesecake so big that I couldn't finish it.


Of course it wasn't all food food food. We strolled through Central Park. We tried to visit St Patrick's Cathedral but made the error of attempting that on the day of the Puerto Rico parade. Couldn't get across 5th, and were pressed in enormous crowds for a good while.

I fell completely in love with John's Yorkie, Parker.
Snatches: mariachi buskers on the subway; breakdancers in the station; Dominican food in John's neighborhood; yorkie fashion show; cheap jewelry; silk wrap skirt; morning run for diet pepsi.

2 comments:

Lydia said...

Fantastic to re-live that week reading this. We had such fun. But no mention of Inherit the Wind? Not only did Mr Plummer miss out on the Tony but now he gets snubbed by you! So sad. LOL

lulukubo said...

Yeah, I thought of that after I posted this but had already mentally moved on so didn't go back and edit.